We’ve already covered Juanes’ bio details, so let’s get to the good stuff. Here are some interesting, funny, little-known facts about the singer/songwriter:
- Juanes grew up in Medellín during the height of a civil war in which thousands were killed. Both a friend and a cousin were murdered during this period, which shaped his musical career and his social consciousness.
- He was named one of Time‘s 100 “Most Influential People in the World” in 2005.
- In 2006, the French Culture Minister declared Juanes a “Knight in the order of Arts and Letters” for his work in social activism.
- Juanes has won 20 Latin Grammy Awards, two Grammy Awards, nine MTV Awards, and two NRJ Music Awards (among others).
- In 2009, he was awarded the National Prize for Peace in Colombia.
- Juanes is the co-founder of Paz Sin Fronteras (Peace Without Borders) concerts, which advocates for non-violent conflict resolution.
MORE HOT JUANES READS!: